Visit our website:


VISIT THE CHAPARRAL KENNEL WEBSITE at: http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/
VISIT THE AMBLECROFT FARM WEBSITE at: http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html


Monday, August 1, 2011

Basque Chicks

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I lost all our lovely old hens to a weasel attack.  It was very sad and I lost a few very good laying hens that I've had for years and we shed a few tears at their loss. 

I haven't been without chickens for decades so I was soon looking for new chicks.  What a surprise to discover an advertisement on Kijiji for Basque Chickens.  I had researched the breed a few years ago but could not find any breeders so keeping with our all-things-French theme I bought some French Maran Chickens.   

Our new chicks are turning out to be wonderful little characters.  I'm still not sure who is a female and who is a male but that is all part of the fun of waiting and getting to know them.   They are known as "the friendly breed" and they haven't disappointed.  But, being only five of them they are getting a lot of attention from me and my family.


No comments:

Post a Comment