Visit our website:


VISIT THE CHAPARRAL KENNEL WEBSITE at: http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/
VISIT THE AMBLECROFT FARM WEBSITE at: http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html


Saturday, April 30, 2011

Zigue learning what it takes to be a sheep dog.

I was called out to friend's farm where my sheep are being kept temporarily as another ewe was about to give birth.

We had another little black ram lamb that was a little stuck and I ended up having to sort it out and pull it out of the ewe. 
It was quite funny as this is also a riding school farm and several children there for riding lessons were watching me and then one little girl later asked me if I could pull a baby horse out too!   :-))))   It made me feel like a magician pulling rabbits out of a hat! :-)


I brought two sheepdogs, Pierre and his son, Zigue, with me.  After the lamb was born I took the other pregnant ewes out to their pasture for a couple of hours of grazing time.   Pierre was there to help, as always, and this time his son, Zigue, who is 14 weeks old was also trotting behind the little flock as we made out way to the field.  Zigue was very calm following behind the sheep with Pierre and when I glanced back I could see him taking it all in like a sponge.   He hadn't a clue as to what he was supposed to do, or why he was even there but you could see that there was something inside of him starting to blossom.  

See the video: 

Later in the afternoon I brought the ewes out of the fenced pasture and stood around a while to let them graze a little on the more lush grass.  As I stood there Zigue just sat down and watched, and no doubt, learned.  I love these puppies that are "observers".  He is just like his father.  Nothing was phasing him at the farm.  Not the the kids, horses, sheep, donkey or chickens.  Just keeping track of what was going on around him and more importantly, keeping track of where I was.  I know it doesn't sound like much in the way of excitement or news, but I could not ask for anything more from a puppy and was absolutely thrilled to see his demeanor and thoughtfulness. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment